Putting your whole look together for your wedding is so exciting - from your dress and jewelry to your nails, hair, and makeup. But weddings can be accompanied by plenty of stressors, too. What should the seating chart look like? Can we afford to pay all of our vendors? Will our family need accommodations? Indeed, while it may be one of the most exciting times in your life, it may also be one of the more stressful events you will put together.
Regrettably, times of high stress can cause some untoward health consequences, like hair loss. And, the last thing any bride wants to worry about is hair loss, but it can happen, especially in response to stress. So, if you are getting married soon and envision your hair looking its best, read on to see what you can do about hair loss before your wedding day.
Causes of Hair Loss in Women
One of the leading causes of hair loss in women is androgenic alopecia. Also known as female pattern hair loss, we don't fully understand why people have this condition. However, there's likely a genetic component that causes certain people to have hair loss. If you are worried you may have androgenic alopecia, look at other people in your family, as it often travels within families and does not discriminate between the sexes.
Another cause of female hair loss can be due to hormonal imbalance. Some women have trouble regulating their female sex hormones, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome, whereas others may struggle with thyroid hormone imbalance. Indeed, women are disproportionately affected by thyroid conditions compared to men. Hormonal imbalance can really occur at any point in a woman's life, but it can really become prevalent during the childbearing years through menopause.
Another primary cause of hair loss is telogen effluvium. This condition is where high-stress levels cause your hair follicles to switch into the resting phase of the hair growth cycle. One of the hallmark ways we identify telogen effluvium compared to other forms of hair loss is with timing. People with telogen effluvium usually experience hair fall out 120 days or 3 months after a particularly stressful event. Examples of stressful events that may cause hair loss include:
- Emotional upset and grief
- Life changes (marriage, divorce, moving, job changes, bankruptcy, etc.)
- Illness and infection
As you can see from the above list, normal life events that are stressful may cause hair loss.
Finally, several other factors may contribute to hair loss. For example, starting a new medication (like birth control or antidepressants) or having an autoimmune disorder like lupus or celiac disease can also contribute to hair loss.
The Good News About Stress-Induced Hair Loss
Most people will experience stress-induced hair loss at some point in their lives. But the good news is that it is temporary. Unlike other conditions like androgenic alopecia or autoimmune disorders, telogen effluvium is short-lived. With that said, it can take several months for your hair to regrow and for you to get the volume back that you had before you became stressed out. Let's look at some action steps you can take to speed up hair re-growth so you can have luscious locks on your wedding day.
Reverse Stress-Induced Hair Loss
How To Treat Hair Loss Before Your Wedding
No matter what causes your hair loss, it's going to take some time to get your hair back. As a general rule for everyone who does not want to have thinning hair, it is best to identify changes in your hair volume and texture as early as possible. The sooner you take action, the better.
Many weddings have been pushed out for at least one year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. For the sake of example, let's assume that your wedding is one year away. If you're noticing hair loss a year out and want to boost your volume and thickness, you will need to take several action steps.
1. Start using Nanoxidil 5% - This topical hair growth medication is more technologically advanced than products that contain minoxidil, and it has no known side effects.
2. Use a dermaroller - This tool performs microneedling, which helps to bring an increased blood flow to your hair follicles. With increased oxygen and nutrients, your hair follicles have more support to help regrow your hair.
3. Wash your hair with hair-stimulating shampoo - Regular hair washing is essential, and doing so with a hair stimulating shampoo like the REVITA product line can help you take action against hair loss with every wash.
4. Change your diet - Diet plays a significant role in how much hair you have and your hair quality. If you are deficient in key nutrients like protein, healthy fats, and iron, your skin will not have the support to grow new hair.
5. Decrease your stress levels - We know that stress plays a big role in hair loss, so it is vital that you curb your stress levels where possible. If you are still planning your wedding, ask for help from people you trust, stick to your budget so you don't worry about money, and remember to keep it fun and light.
6. Add in a hair-growth supplement - Nutrients should primarily come from your diet. However, foods in the Standard American Diet are not packed full of hair growth nutrients. Thus, many Americans are deficient in key nutrients. A hair growth supplement like the REVITA Nutraceutical Tablets for Hair Growth Support can ensure you get your daily requirements for healthy hair growth and maintenance.
7. Avoid harsh styling treatments - Lastly, the months leading up to your wedding are not the time to try damaging practices like dying your hair a new color or getting a permanent. Now is the time to let your hair heal and soak up all of the good practices you are doing, like eating clean, taking supplements, and using hair growth products.
Hair grows on average 0.5 inches per month, so it can take time to see results. Start treating your scalp as soon as possible if you notice changes in your hair thickness and texture. If your wedding is nearing and you are unsure where to start, reach out to one of our Product Advisors to get an action plan to help you feel confident and ready on your big day.