Does Massaging the Scalp Help Hair Grow?
Hair is an incredibly important aspect of our aesthetic and physical appeal. It impacts how we feel about ourselves, and can thus be a game-changer for our self-confidence. The condition of our scalp largely influences the condition and health of our hair. For relaxation and to promote circulation, getting a scalp massage is a popular option.
But does this simple and pleasurable treatment promote hair growth? Let’s find out!
What Is a Scalp Massage?
Similar to a neck or body massage, a scalp massage involves using the tips of one’s fingertips or a massager to apply pressure to the scalp. This is done using back-and-forth or circular motions and helps relax the muscles in the scalp and neck. While it’s great for relieving tension, stress, and muscle tightness, it is also considered beneficial for healthy hair, especially when oils are used to facilitate the massage.
What Are the Benefits of Scalp Massages?
Scalp massages are extremely beneficial for several reasons:
- Reduced stress. A scalp massage can help ease tensions and knots in the head and neck muscles. This can help you relax and get rid of physical and mental stress as the process is extremely comforting and relaxing. It can also rejuvenate you and promote a better quality of sleep which can help improve your overall health and well-being.
- Relieves tension headaches. Daily stressors can cause tension. You may even find yourself involuntarily frowning or tightening the muscles in your forehead and head as a response. This can lead to tension headaches which can be extremely painful and uncomfortable. Scalp massages help relieve these headaches within minutes.
- Improved blood circulation and better hair quality. The pressure applied to the head during a scalp massage helps stimulate blood flow to the head and hair follicles. Proper blood circulation ensures that oxygen and nutrients are delivered to the hair follicles, promoting healthier strands.
Considering the numerous benefits of a scalp massage, it’s no wonder that it’s such an integral aspect of self-care routines across the world.
Can Scalp Massages Aid Hair Growth?
Scalp massages make the existing hair healthier by improving blood circulation which improves the delivery of nourishment and oxygen to the hair follicles. Does this mean that it also aids hair growth?
According to a 2016 study, researchers found that regular scalp massages can increase the thickness of hair. Nine men received a scalp massage for 4 minutes every day for 24 weeks. At the end of the study, their hair was thicker compared to when the study began. Additionally, scalp massages are also known to reduce the adverse effects of alopecia.
How Do Scalp Massages Impact Hair Growth?
Scalp massages and hair growth are related due to how hair follicles function. Each hair on your head grows from a hair follicle which is located under the scalp. Massaging the scalp stretches the cells of the hair follicles and dilates blood vessels under the skin which stimulates thicker hair growth.
Though there is limited research to support this fact, studies so far show promising results regarding the relationship between scalp massages and hair growth.
However, it is important to remember that scalp massages are not enough to facilitate hair growth as it also depends on other factors such as:
- Overall health
- Products used
How to Massage Your Scalp: Different Massages To Try
If you’re looking to improve your hair’s health, a scalp massage is always a great idea. There are different methods you can use to massage your scalp such as:
- Traditional scalp massage. Use clean hands to apply light to medium pressure to the scalp with the fingertips. Perform a massage all over the head using circular motions and focus on areas that feel especially tight or sensitive.
- Hair wash massage. If you don’t have time to do a traditional massage, you can do it while shampooing your hair in the shower. After applying shampoo to your scalp, gently massage it for around 5 minutes. This will give you the benefits of a traditional scalp massage and clean your scalp more thoroughly.
- Massage equipment. There are all kinds of scalp massage tools available online and they can be extremely helpful in providing an effective scalp massage. If you don’t want a traditional massage with your fingertips, administering a massage with one of these tools is a great alternative.
- Oil massage. For extra pampering, relaxation, and hair care, you can add essential oils to your scalp massage routine. Pick a favorite oil or create a mixture of different essential and base oils according to your preference. Gently work the oil into your scalp as you do your massage.
When massaging your scalp, remember to take your time and relax as much as possible. Inculcate it into your daily routine and massage for at least 5 minutes at a time.
Scalp massages can be an extremely relaxing and rejuvenating experience. Plus it has several benefits like reducing stress and tension, improving blood circulation, and better hair quality. Promoting healthier hair growth is just an added bonus of scalp massages.
Remember that if your aim is to promote hair growth, a scalp massage may not be enough. It’s also important to stay hydrated, sleep well, use gentle haircare products such as those offered by DS Laboratories, and get the right nutrition!